Happy Thanksgiving! For this fit food with Tasch post I decided to indulge since it’s Thanksgiving and I’m cooking for my fam who like a more hearty meal. We paired this 3 cheese Mac&cheese with turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce, truffle mashed potatoes, chestnut and chicken sausage stuffing, pecan topped sweet potato casserole, cauliflower and roasted broccoli, and rolls plus salad and apps. Too much food, but on a normal day I would make this with an escarole, fresh herb and pomegranate seed salad with homemade dressing. I rocked our comfy Ack City tee for comfy cooking and looked festive pairing it with plaid.
Smoked Gouda, Sharp& Aged Cheddar Mac&Cheese
Ingredients: box of dried elbow macaroni cooked for 4 minutes and drained, 1 egg beaten, 4 tablespoons of butter, 1/4 cup all purpose flour, 2 1/2 cups fat free half and half, 2 teaspoons dry mustard, 1/3 pound smoked Gouda, 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, 1/4 pound aged sharp cheddar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grate all the cheese and reserve 1/4 for topping.
3. In a large pot melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium -low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes whisking constantly.
4. Pour in half and half with mustard added a bit at a time and whisk until smooth each time. Once all cream has been incorporated cook until very thick. Reduce heat to low.
5. In a small bowl beat egg. Take 1/4 cup of sauce and slowly pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking egg.
6. Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth and uniform in color.
7. Add in cheese and stir until melted, then add salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning. Taste sauce and add more seasoning if desired.
8. Add in cooked and drained pasta and stir to combine.
9. Pour mix into a greased baking dish, top with extra cheese, and bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.
Happy Thanksgiving! Xx Tasch