I love fresh yummy veggies from the farmers market and I also love mexican food and cheese. As fall is really here, I decided to make healthy and filling Mexican dinner at home for some friends while relaxing in my striped Hampton top. Check out the recipe below and feel free to add your own take to it! Once a month I will be doing a Fit Food with Tasch series with healthy recipes with locally sourced ingredients because I believe food and fashion have a place together! These recipes include ingredients that are as colorful as Tasch’s tees :)
Tasch’s Veggie Tortilla Casserole
- tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon pepper
- pinch of Goya sazon seasoning
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn kernels
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes or small jar spicy salsa
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado diced
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- 2 cups verde sauce jarred or make your own like I did
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat an 8-by-8-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onions have softened. Add the bell peppers, chili powder, Goya sazon, pepper and salt to the skillet and stir to combine. After about 5 minutes add drained beans and corn and cook for another 5 minutes before adding the salsa verde sauce. Bring to boil and simmer on low another 10 minutes to reduce sauce.
Pour a thin layer of veggie mixture into casserole dish, top with 4-6 corn tortillas, half of shredded cheese mixture and repeat veggie mixture, add more corn tortillas then add tomatoes or salsa to top and top with remainder cheese. Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes and then remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes
Sprinkle diced avocado, jalapenos and sour cream on top and serve.